Total Lifecycle Main Safety Contractor
HIMA is the world's original Total Lifecycle Main Safety Contractor (TLMSC). As a quality certified organisation in accordance with AS 61511, we assist clients to implement and manage their functional safety across the entire lifecycle of their projects.
Our TLMSC services are totally independent of our safety instrumented system (SIS) business because we recognise that on any safe, productive and profitable plant or project, effective functional safety management delivers consistent best practice engineering results and that the SIS is only a small part of the story.
Whether a new greenfields project providing up front services such as HAZOPs, developing functional safety management plans, producing SIL analysis or assisting to maintain AS 61511 functional safety compliance on operating brownfields plants, HIMA Australia provides TLMSC services tailor made to suit the individual needs of each client.
We recognise that today, many end users don’t have the desire or the capacity to employ and maintain staff who have dedicated functional safety expertise and this is where HIMA fits in. Functional safety management across the lifecycle of a project from FEED to operations and maintenance is a project management function. Best practice engineering standards such as AS 61511 also demand that users of safety systems can clearly demonstrate that this function is carried out by competent personnel with demonstrable qualifications and experience.
HIMA Australia’s team of experienced and dedicated TÜV Rheinland approved functional safety engineers provide the following TLMSC services:
Increasing productivity and profitability
Studies performed by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and other international safety bodies conclude unanimously that the distribution of failures associated directly with safety instrumented systems is less than 15% of all incidents in total. The remaining 85% of failures are shown to be a direct result of actions by people and the processes they follow throughout the lifecycle of a project
Functional safety management is a specialised area of engineering which deals specifically with this subject. The introduction of performance based standards such as AS 61511 and AS 61508 have provided guidance for those involved with safety critical projects however these standards by their own definition require competent individuals and organisations to interpret and implement them.
By implementing these standards correctly, a competent functional safety specialist will help eliminate areas that may compromise the safety of a project while also ensuring that best practice, appropriate engineering and cost savings are implemented and consistent throughout the entire safety lifecycle.
Do you have safety instrumented systems on your plant or project?
Questions to ask when considering in-house management of functional safety or the external recruitment of a functional safety specialist for your current or next project
- Will your company be prepared to assess its tolerable risk in accordance with AS 61511?
- Will there be a demonstrable understanding of the requirements of AS 61511 from FEED through to operations and maintenance?
- Will all engineering practices be in accordance with AS 61511 and will this be demonstrable through audit?
- Will the personnel involved with the safety instrumented system from FEED through to operations and maintenance be able to demonstrate competence in the safety related tasks?
- Will there be commercial, safety and engineering benefits to the plant or project by selecting a functional safety partner who are proven experts in the field?
- Will there be a demonstrable understanding of the codes and regulations associated with the critical equipment?
- How will you support the safety system in accordance with AS 61508 and AS 51511 after commissioning and throughout the operations and maintenance phase of your project?
Your organisation, your staff or your functional safety partner should be able to readily demonstrate auditable competency with any of the above.
The Total Lifecycle Main Safety Contractor solution provides an integrated plant-wide safety approach. A Total Lifecycle Main Safety Contractor will provide the appropriate safety expertise and competence to ensure streamlined compliance with standards, local regulators and codes or legislation and be a true safety partner for the life of the project.
Click here to download the HIMA Application Solutions - Total Lifecycle Main Safety Contractor flyer.